Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Curves

And not just any curves, we are talking body curves and exam curves!

Hey, guys, Queen Of The Damned here. Im the other lady on this blog here. I have a few minutes so I thought I would introduce myself and start on bloggin lol. So, hm, where to start. Well, Im a student, going for a Nursing degree as we speak. Im not in the actual program yet, I will be applying this coming spring to hopefully get in by fall. For now it is all just pre requisites and blah. Just had a HUGE exam yesterday too. Awaiting my grade with only a little anxiety, I know I got a B for sure, but of course I am hoping for an A. Its always those times you sit down, going over the exam in your head and you think, "Oh my frickin frack, how could I be so STUPID and answer THAT question wrong!!??". But no worries. Let bygones be bygones.

The other stuff I will focus on for this blog is healthy...ish type living. I still am not perfect at it, but I do take alot better care of myself today than I ever used to in the past. Right now I am trying to lose about 30lbs. My goal was by the end of this year. However, I have only lost 8lbs so far, which is good, but I may have to settle with not quite reaching my goal by new years. That does not mean I will not bust my butt tho.

I like to keep it real, and lets do that for a second. The last two day, I have not been eating according to my low carb plan at all. I threw it to the wind, mainly from stress from that big exam I just took. Here is what you do when you fall off the wagon: just get back on it! I have been on many diet sites where you talk to others for ideas and inspiration, and this is I would say the main stumping factor to some people. Once they fall off, they never seem to be able to fathom how to start over. You dont have to start over, just pick up where you left off! Life is tough, thats a given, and we are all only human. Just do your best! I pigged out on mac n cheese for breakfast, no lie, then took a nap haha! I woke up and said, you know, no. Not ok. My body deserves better. Prolly why I feel so lethargic today and yesterday, too much carbs for my body to deal with, considering its used to not getting much. So, picking back up half way through the day. Which is fine! Just do it!


Onto more fun stuff. You will most likely see my partner in crime on here posting about an Autumn dinner party. Well, I work night shift at a hospital near by my place, and of course, I landed working Halloween. (sniffles) In typical service industry jobs, its easy to get a day off. In healthcare, well, its like Harry Potter and The Sorcerers Stone, you have to go through so much bs to even be considered for a day off, that by the time you reach staffing, you have pretty much gotten a resounding NO from everyone else along the way. So, no Halloween off for me. Being the amazing sister that she is, she came up with an Autumn dinner party so we could at least do something similar. <3 xoxo. I am attempting to figure out what I would like to cook. I have three things I am going to make so far. As follows:

Caramel Apple Dip

http://www.chef-in-training.com/2013/08/caramel-apple-dip/

INGREDIENTS

16 individually-wrapped caramels unwrapped

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt caramels with water, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together cream cheese, sugar and vanilla.
  3. Lastly, fold in caramel mixture into the cream cheese mixture.
  4. Serve immediately with apple slices.
BEEF BOURGUIGNON
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?language=EN&recipeType=1&action=recipe&recipeID=4285

This is a typical French braise. Use a stewing meat such as chuck or brisket. To easily remove pearl onion skins, pour hot water over onions and let them sit for 20 minutes. The skins will slip off . Serve with mashed potatoes.




2½ lbs (1.25 kg) stewing meat,
cut into 2 inch (5 cm) pieces
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
4 oz (125 g) sliced double smoked bacon, diced
18 pearl onions, skinned
8 oz (250 g) small cremini mushrooms
1 cup (250 mL) chopped onion
½ cup (125 mL) chopped carrot
½ cup (125 mL) chopped celery
2 cups (500 mL) red wine
2 cups (500 mL) beef stock
1 head garlic, dry papery layers brushed off
and top third of bulb removed
1 bay leaf
2 stalks thyme
4 sprigs parsley

Beurre Manie3 tbsp (45 mL) softened butter
3 tbsp (45 mL) flour

1. Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).

2. Season meat with salt and pepper.

3. Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté until slightly crisp. Remove from pan and reserve.

4. Add pearl onions, sauté for 5 minutes, add mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes longer or until mushrooms are browned and juicy and onions are softened. Remove onions and mushrooms and reserve. Wipe out pot.

5. Add another 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil to pot and, working in batches, add meat to pot in a single layer without crowding the pot, adding more oil as needed. Sear meat on each side until browned, about 1 minute per side. Remove and place in a strainer over a bowl to let the fat drip out.

6. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil to pan. Add chopped onions, carrots and celery and sauté for 5 minutes or until softened. Add wine, scraping up any brown bits from the base of the pan. Bring to boil and boil for 1 minute, then add stock, garlic, bay leaf, thyme and parsley sprigs. Return to boil and skim off any foam that rises to top. Stir in meat.

7. Cover and bake for 2 to 2½ hours or until meat is very tender. Uncover, remove garlic, thyme, bay leaf and parsley sprigs. Add reserved bacon, pearl onions and mushrooms, return pot to oven and bake another 15 minutes or until meat is very tender and sauce is rich.

8. To make beurre manie, combine butter and flour to make a paste.

9. If sauce is not thick enough, strain into a separate pot and add the beurre manie a bit at a time until it is thickened to your satisfaction. This should not be a very thick sauce. Season to taste and return to pot.

And last but not least:

Autumn Punch
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/drinks/autumn-punch/

ingredients
  • 2teaspoons whole cloves
  • 1/2of a vanilla bean, split lengthwise
  • 164 ounce bottleapple-cranberry juice
  • 4medium purple and/or green plums, pitted and sliced
  • 1750 milliliter bottleGewurztraminer, or other fruity white wine*
  • Ice cubes
directions
1.Place cloves and vanilla bean in center of a double-thick 6-inch square of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth. Bring corners of cloth together; tie closed with clean string. Pour apple-cranberry juice into a large container or pitcher. Add plums and spice bag. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
2.Remove and discard cheesecloth bag. Stir in Gewurztraminer. Serve beverage and plum slices over ice. (Or omit the ice and heat the juice mixture and wine in a 4-quart Dutch oven until hot. Serve in heatproof mugs.) Makes 10 to 12 servings.
from the test kitchen*Nonalcoholic Option:
  • Substitute two 12-ounce cans chilled ginger ale for the Gewurztraminer, and serve over ice.

So there you guys have it!!! The three recipes I will be attempting to create for our Autumn dinner party. I am really excited too, I just bought this really rad drink dispenser, and I HAVE to show it off, its just too cool. 

You cant get much cooler than that :). 
Anyway guys, I have to get back to....well, cleaning my room and studying. I have TWO exams this coming monday. Ridiculous of course, I ponder whether or not they do this on purpose. Anyway, have a great evening!

May Goth be with you!




No comments:

Post a Comment